Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Power of an Idea


We have all had the experience of coming up with an idea. In fact, this common experience is one we encounter on a routine basis. Sometimes the idea that finds its way into our heads is life-changing, the whole 'lightbulb going off' phenomenon, while other times the idea is an utter failure. As I enter my second week of graduate studies in Instructional Technology, I am reflecting on the limitless possibilities that stem from our thoughts and ideas. Consider this: what would our world look like today if Steve Jobs had never pursued the idea of Apple Computer? Or what if Alexander Graham Bell had not pursued the idea of the telephone? Suffice it to say that without ideas, our world would be boring, static, and mundane. 

I have had the desire to create a blog for a while now, but am only just coming to act on that desire as part of a course requirement. The class is called Instructional Applications of the Internet, so it is fitting that students should begin to explore the world of weblogs as part of the course syllabus, if they have not already. My hope is to use this space as a means to reflect on what I am learning about, but to also take the new knowledge I have gained and use it as a springboard into future posts on concepts related to education. I aspire to continue to explore my thoughts: those that come spontaneously and those that are inspired by others. 

So, what made me start to think about the power of ideas? The answer: one of the first course assignments. We were asked to contribute to a list of Web 2.0 technology resources on a class wiki and check out what our classmates shared. Blendspace is one of the online resources that was included in the list. I had no idea how it worked, which led me to explore it further. The website is beneficial in that it allows users to create dynamic presentations that include any variety of videos, photos, links, and files: free of charge. Right away, instructional ideas starting flowing. I thought it was a great resource that I would put on the back burner for now. As a full time graduate student currently, I could see its potential for when I move back into the classroom in the future. However...

Another one of the courses I am enrolled in right now happened to have an assignment due last week that asked students to evaluate five instructional images and to determine their design principles. We could use any medium to present the information. That metaphoric lightbulb went right off as I realized that I could take the idea from one class (Blendspace) and combine it with what I needed to accomplish for the other class. I was able to use Blendspace to upload my images and to describe them. It was a HALLELUJAH moment! If you have any interest in checking out the final product, just visit: 
https://www.blendspace.com/lessons/kUZrbiVrXIIxkA/visual-literacy.

I will end my post with a brief exercise in idea exploration, both because it's fun and because I think it's important for educators of any capacity to practice. Check out this Swiss toy called a Bilibo:
Can you think of some different ideas for how this toy could be used in either practical, play, or educational scenarios? I've got some thoughts (salad bowl?!), but would love to see what others think, too! Feel free to comment and share below. 

However hair-brained and outrageous your ideas might initially seem, consider the possibility of exploring them. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment